Honest and Goal-Oriented Criminal Representation from a Trial and Military Vet
I have been representing clients in criminal court for over 25 years. From speeding tickets to murder cases, I have handled many cases in between for clients in Randolph and Perry Counties. In fact, my main practice is felony defense, so you can trust that I am capable of handling even your most serious charges. I also specialize in helping drivers who have had their licenses revoked. My primary strategy as a defense attorney is developing a game plan with you to set clear expectations for the outcome of your case that we can work towards achieving.
What Does A Criminal Defense Lawyer Do?
Criminal defense lawyers are legal professionals who specialize in representing individuals who have been accused of committing criminal offenses. Their primary role is to provide legal counsel, advocacy, and protection of their clients' rights throughout the criminal justice process. Here is a breakdown of the key tasks and responsibilities of criminal defense lawyers:
- Legal Counsel and Advice: Defense attorneys offer legal advice and guidance to their clients, explaining the charges they face, the potential consequences, and the available legal strategies. They help clients make informed decisions about their cases.
- Investigation: Lawyers conduct thorough investigations to gather evidence that supports their client's defense. This involves reviewing police reports, interviewing witnesses, and collecting physical evidence to challenge the prosecution's case.
- Legal Research: Criminal defense lawyers research applicable laws, statutes, and legal precedents to develop strong legal arguments and strategies tailored to their client's specific case.
- Negotiation: Defense attorneys engage in negotiations with prosecutors to seek favorable outcomes for their clients. This may include plea bargaining to reduce charges or penalties.
- Court Representation: Lawyers represent their clients in various court proceedings, including arraignments, bail hearings, pretrial conferences, and trials. They present evidence, cross-examine witnesses, and make compelling legal arguments on behalf of their clients.
- Jury Selection: In cases that go to trial, defense lawyers participate in the selection of jurors to ensure a fair and impartial jury, which is crucial to the integrity of the trial process.
- Trial Defense: During a trial, criminal defense lawyers work diligently to cast doubt on the prosecution's case, challenge evidence, and present alternative theories to persuade the jury of their client's innocence or to mitigate the charges and penalties.
- Post-Conviction Actions: If a client is convicted, defense attorneys continue to represent them during the sentencing phase and explore post-conviction options, including filing appeals or seeking pardons.
- Client Support: Beyond their legal duties, defense lawyers provide emotional support and guidance to their clients, who may be experiencing significant stress and uncertainty due to criminal charges.
- Confidentiality: Attorneys uphold the attorney-client privilege, ensuring that communications between them and their clients remain confidential. This privilege allows clients to share information freely with their lawyers.
In summary, criminal defense lawyers play a vital role in the criminal justice system, advocating for the rights and interests of individuals accused of crimes and working to ensure a fair and just legal process.
You can expect honest, blunt, and upfront legal guidance when you work with me; your success is my main priority, and I will put my years of trial experience and criminal representation to work on your behalf.
When you are facing criminal charges, you will need an assertive and honest attorney who is deeply familiar with the legal system. I have been practicing criminal law for over 25 years, including taking on many jury trials. I am also a U.S. Navy veteran who handles military cases and possess a uniquely personal relationship with the law. I am not the type of lawyer to waste your (or my) time, especially when we are dealing with cases as timely as criminal ones. I will sit down with you to outline your goals and expectations for your case and develop our legal strategy based on those goals. I will not sugarcoat anything, either; if you’re looking for honest, efficient, and experienced legal counsel in your Belleville defense, I’m the attorney for you.
I successfully completed my treatment and probation period and my case was dismissed.
Whether you have been charged with a violent crime or for driving without a valid license, I can defend you in court. With over 25 years of experience, including experience as a former public defender, I am well-equipped to fight for your defense and combat the accusations the prosecution will raise against you. Let’s get started on your defense and resolve your case as quickly as possible. I have always fought relentlessly for my clients, and I will fight for you, too.
Richard RoustioFounding AttorneyFacing criminal charges of any kind, felony, misdemeanor or traffic can be an intimidating experience. That is why the first thing that is necessary is to meet with an experienced criminal defense attorney like myself. I am a Navy veteran with over 25 years of criminal defense experience and can walk you through the complicated legal process achieving the best results possible.